View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2017, 9:30 pm   #165
Damo666
Hexode

Default Re: All about CB radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
The 10M08AA is a crystal filter and this would have been used in place of CF101 to improve the 'bleedover' performance of the radio. However, I wouldn't recommend the 10M08AA as it is too narrow and typically gives a harsh sound to the receiver. The 10M15A is a better filter. It looks the same but is wider and doesn't give the harsh sound of the 10M08AA.

The original radio would have used a ceramic filter here at CF101 and this was followed by the MC3357 mixer/FM chip. The ceramic filter was very wide and gave overload/bleedover issues in the MC3357 IF chip, especially when used on UK FM CB when it was busy. My advice would be to check to see if there is a 10M15A filter fitted here or the original ceramic filter.
Hello again, Jeremy.

I got around to opening the Icom this morning, and there's a 10M15AA filter in position CF101 so that's handy.

There's a strange little enclosed red box on the rear inside of the chassis, and I've never seen anything like this before. It connects to the + pin of the power socket, and the remaining terminal goes to an inductor near the usual + entry point on the PCB - so maybe it's a fuse or suppressor of some sort?

There's also a home brew board hanging & uninsulated, and it consists of 2 x HEF40088PB IC's.

I've not really got around to properly describing the fault with the Harvard 407, but when I get chance to, I'll publish another thread so as to avoid detailing this one.

Here are some images of the Icom 1050 guts....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170306_191200.jpg
Views:	1035
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	138728