View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2010, 7:04 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Obsolete fluorescent light fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
...Is it old enough to use the tubes with bayonet fittings at each end?...
Crikey! I had totally forgotten about those!, the butchers shop and the local Co-op (and perhaps some of the other shops), in the village I lived in as a child, had Fluorescent fittings with bayonet connections. ISTR that the BC sockets were suspended from the ceiling in the normal fashion, the Choke and starter assemblies for this type of fitting residing elsewhere, often close to the main fuse box.

One of the fluorescent fittings that springs to mind from my youth was of Philips design and looked quite "Space age" for its time (the early 70's) The connection box took up a little more space than a standard ceiling rose, a thin tubular arm perpendicularly exiting one side of the box which then spanned around half of the length of the fitting to a larger box which housed the starter switch and the socket for one end of the florescent tube, a rather thin metal bar then spanning the length of the tube for the connection point at the opposite end.
To replace either the tube or the starter switch the larger connection box had to be removed, this was held on by a knurled screw.

The choke appeared to be housed inside the long bar and was in the form of a long thin spiral, unlike the physically larger chokes found in other fittings.

I have searched the 'net but am unable to find a picture of one of these fittings but do seem to recall seeing a picture of one somewhere a few years ago.

Regards
Andrew