View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2018, 3:56 pm   #74
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: AR88 Restoration.

Small update

I got round to doing the screen resistors, and found all but one horrendously out of spec. 33k resistors reading as much as 200k and 300k!

Interestingly, what I've found generally with resistors in this receiver is the larger bodied type almost always seem to have gone high. The one screen grid resistor I didn't need to change was a smaller type and read 34k so I left it in.

Still a lot to do, but for now its set up with a 50 foot antenna and is pulling in far more than the little 15 foot one in my workshop. I've been unable to resolve any SSB. I am new to comms receivers and have tried the methods advised on here (manual mode, selectivity up, AF gain max, CW mode and driving with the RF gain). I seem to get lots of signals on band 5 and 6, but unable to tune them into anything meaningful, just BFO whistles and not much else, could well be alignment, which is on the to-do list. What I can receive is clearly off based on the dial readings, and I did recalibrate all that when I reinstalled the gear box