View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2013, 1:47 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default £10 of Harpy Happiness

A very cold auction at Harpenden produced only one successful bid for me. The item was just described as "Pam Transistor Radio Working". But it is a very sweet radio, and I think I have already had more than my £10 of happiness from it! My wife said it was the nicest thing I had ever brought back from the auction!

I would be grateful for any help identifying the model.

It has 7 transistors. A real mixture: Japanese Toshiba 2SA73, 2SA72(2), then NKT275, NKT278 plus two output transistors hidden in a dual heatsink. "Radio Radio" gives this sort of config as typical of radios from about 1963. It has 3 bands - L, M and a Marine band covering 185-210m (Manx, Caroline and Luxembourg proudly labelled)

But any help identifying the model (a Pye clone, yet again?) would be very much appreciated. Size is 8" x 5" x 2.5".

It was in nice condition but had some dirt, especially inside and quite a few nasty dings in the speaker grille.

The wavechange switch and pot have received some servisol. The pcb has been removed and a few soldered joints repaired. the speaker grille has been removed and dings have been carefully burnished out, and the case has received a good clean with IPA.

And as expected, it burst into life quite happily on a 9V test psu. The pot's quiet and the very nice wavechange switch and chunky tuning gang are doing a great job. Good clear reception.

Any ideas on model? Sorry the photos are poor quality - my compression software was a bit over-zealous.

Thanks

Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5969.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	76713   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5972.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	76714   Click image for larger version