View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2018, 8:52 pm   #20
MervynHagger
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 1964 Extended MW/AM 'Caroline/Lux' band receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_RK View Post
Checking Jonathan Hill's 'Radio! Radio!' for release dates, the Perdio Caralux was at least quite an early entry as bandspread sets go, arriving in 1964 as a development of the 1962/3 Town and Country, which had been offered with three different waveband combinations - LW/MW/SW, LW/MW/Marine Band and MW/2SW. 'Radio Bygones' no. 58. April/May 1999, has a substantial article from Rod Burman on the Town and Country and its variants.

The Fidelity 199 and 199A might also have been thought to be giving Caroline some publicity, but I expect they were instead aimed at exploiting the station's popularity. In any case they only appeared in 1965 and '66, were quite drab little sets without bandspread, and from their scarcity today they can't have sold particularly well. 'Radio! Radio!' refers also to a couple of small Hong Kong-produced radios from 1964 that were branded 'Caroline'. These too are far from common and seem most likely an importer's attempt to boost their own sales.
Thanks Paul. The Caralux receiver does in some ways fit the bill and the company history is also somewhat open to interpretation. Perdio went public and moved its factory from London to Sunderland where it went bust in John Bloom (washing machine) fashion - according to the Observer newspaper of the day.

Jane Bednall, daughter of designer Allan Bednall added this: Her dad's company was Cambridge Design Associates and one of her father's although dad dated it 1973 perhaps dating it I973 meant he could reveal it then. I am aware you are looking at 1963/4. When I am more rested I shall employees at 11, Roman Hill in the village of Barton (Cambridge), was Roger Askham.

So it's possible that the company was Perdio and that it was bought to self-destruct after its removal to a giant abandoned warehouse in Sunderland. I imagine that if skullduggery was afoot, that this would have been a better location than London and the Caralux receiver would be an exploitable product.

As you will gather I am still fishing for information.