View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2018, 12:49 pm   #11
MervynHagger
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 1964 Extended MW/AM 'Caroline/Lux' band receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Wikipedia has some information, but more importantly with references for further research.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perdio_Radio
Wikipedia is the most unreliable source of any information on any and everything. I never cite it as a source.

I have newspaper archive subscriptions and I have undertaken a big search as a result of the Caralux links to Perdio. However, by December 24, 1963 Perdio was already in big financial trouble and by 1965 after going from bad to worse it collapsed and its name was absorbed by another firm.

The description given by Alan Bednall is quite specific about being sworn to secrecy by John Stanley (Pye) who created a company (Perdio was in business long before 1963 as a private company that went public.) Bednall who was a freelance designer under contract to Pye, only says that the company he did all of the design work for was a company "manufacturing radio equipment". We know that in this instance it cannot have been broadcasting equipment and therefore that only leaves receiving equipment in the context of what is being researched.

Since the subject matter is secretly aiding and abetting the establishment of Radio Caroline which began transmissions in March 1964, from a venture that is dated beginning around October 1963, the most likely candidate is a receiver with an extended band that would publicize and facilitate easy listening to Radio Caroline on "199 metres".

At first glance the Caralux set seems to fit the bill, but upon closer inspection none of the supporting information does fit.

Any more suggestions?