Thread: Hardware
View Single Post
Old 9th Jun 2021, 11:34 pm   #1
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Hardware

Washers available again - get down to Screwfix! Towards the start of lockdown last year I was working with Men In Sheds, restoring donated bicycles. Several metric (coarse) threads are encountered on a bike, with M5 being the favourite for attaching accessories to the frame, like mudguards and racks. I was always struggling to find suitable washers for the screws so I peeled off and went to Screwfix with my latest catalogue, which had become out of date the day before so they didn't have the large flat washers in BZP. Next time I went I was jubilant to find several packs in the 'discontinued' bin. They had been selling them only in packs of 10 which is silly and I had recently searched eBay for the equivalent product but none were forthcoming. ebay.de had almost identical washers in packs of 100 - great! until I saw the price, about €1 per washer . Of course you can get British Standard Washers anywhere, but the outer diameter is no bigger than the screw head, while Penny Washers are twice the diameter you need

But now they're back in stock and in packs of 100, yay! Also all the other metric sizes you need. I find you need reasonable-size BZP washers for most radio restoration projects, and these also fit well on 0, 2 and 4BA screws

Screwfix stock numbers: 413FT, 871FT, 194FT, 656FT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screwfix Washer.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	235660  

It's good here

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 10th Jun 2021 at 11:03 am. Reason: Rules C2 and 3