View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2019, 7:57 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: GPO Detector No3 Does anyone have any information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridiron View Post
A friend has recently given me a GPO test meter which I understand from posts on the forum was known as Detector No 4, I also have a couple of very early GPO meters which are labelled GPO No2 which date back to at least the early 1920's, presumably there would have been a number 3 meter, I was wondering if anyone has any information or has one of these? I'm assuming the first GPO meter would be one of those Q & I Detectors in a wooden case.
Mike.
Didn't always work logically with the GPO! The 'Vocabulary of Engineering Stores' from the early 1940's doesn't show a 'Detector No 3' . The No 2 is listed but not available to order. The No 4 was the current one from the early 1930's through to the 1950's.

GPO naming/numbering wasn't always logical. For instance the first version of an item wasn't the 'Mark 1' version. It was the 'Mark 234', with the second one being 'Mark 235' then 'Mark 236' etc. When it came to telephones, table ones had even numbers and wall ones had odd numbers. As there were far more models of table telephones than wall ones, there are plenty of gaps in the odd numbering. Plus there are huge gaps, where are the 400, 500 and 600 series of telephones?

Ian J
CNet 0352 2345/01-432 1234
MR ETD 053-6278