View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2017, 4:07 pm   #14
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Workshop: LED replacements for flourescent tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeritus View Post
When you say they are on their last legs, do you mean they are reluctant to strike? I used to have this problem with my kitchen and shed fluorescents at the onset of winter when the rooms were unheated, but fixed it by wiping the tubes with Silicone furniture polish. After buying some new tubes that behaved exactly the same as the apparently faulty ones, I remembered having read in an old textbook that fluorescent tubes for Europe had a Silicone coating to ensure reliable starting under the humid conditions found in Europe. The improvement was dramatic, and even the tube in the garden shed that used to be unusable in winter until I had had the heater running now comes on first time regardless of the temperature.
Thanks for that tip.

It's a combination of not wanting to strike when cold, as you suggest, and also old age. The output from these has dropped off a bit, although having just measured both the light level & colour temp, not as bad as it appeared.
I'll give them a wipe over with some silicone lubricant & see. (We don't have silicone furniture polish, its banned on account of the damage it can cause to veneered & bakelite radio cabinets).

David.