View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2018, 8:32 am   #19
Catkins
Pentode

Default Re: 1938 Murphy A56V television restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
Excellent restoration, having had to fully rewire my Murphy V136C certainly reminds me what you must have gone through!
A really nice looking set. Immediately post-war Murphys seem to be almost as rare as pre-war televisions. I've only seen one come up for sale which is the V114 my brother (Draenog on the forum) bought a couple of years ago. I would dearly like a immediately post-war Murphy television.

Does the V136C have the swing down RF chassis like the V114? My brother had great fun with the disintegrating rubber wiring loom connecting that chassis to everything else.

Oddly the A56V didn't have much evidence of wiring looms (that is wiring cut to length and fashioned into bundles with ties). They were used to connect the controls with the chassis, but internally in the chassis it was all point-to-point wiring, one wire at a time. They were routed within the chassis in perhaps specific ways. Knowing that deviating from wire length and routing might cause problems in pre-war sets (its always best to be cautious here, as you don't want to introduce circuit instability or worse), I replaced one wire at a time, keeping everything exactly the same. Which was very time consuming, I redid the wiring looms to the controls in one go, which was a lot easier.

Quote:
Please most more photos of the restoration, it may rekindle my desire to get back to my set, (I put it on hold after suffering from frame collapse).
Mark
I do hope it kindles your desire, if we can encourage each other then hopefully it is for the better. I certainly have gained and got a boost from the efforts of others on the forum.

Sod's law means I got the television working perfectly for hours ... the moment I pointed a camera at it to take a video, it suffered a line collapse within 10 minutes. Lovely.