Thread: Maplin stores
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2018, 11:45 am   #177
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Maplin stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post

I must admit I buy most stuff from Chinese sources though, especially if I'm not in a rush for it.
Chinese e-bay suppliers have got wise to the fact that the delay due to shipping is a bit of a turn off (although generally, I've found that it's usually not more than 2 - 3 weeks).

Many of the faster moving items are available in the UK via 'drop shippers'. As an example, my 'scope probe failed yesterday and in the past, I might have hot-footed it down to Maplin, but I googled what was available, and bought two probes for just £7.61 post free from an ebay supplier based in Dunstable. There are those who seek out the highest spec, most expensive, much vaunted brands, but as a hobbyist, I don't fit that profile. These probes will more than meet my needs, one for each channel of my Hameg 203-7.

The paypal receipt showed that the supplier was Chinese!

Seller:

深圳市雅睿尔电子商务有限公司

Here's the spec:

Features:

Adjustable probe attenuation, you can choose 1X or 10X by sliding the switch.
Detachable hook tip, the hook is well protected by the plastic case.
Locating sleeves ensure the stability and reliability of the tip exposed to the test point.
Marker rings in different colors help to identify different channels.

Specifications:
Band Width: 100MHz
Rise Time: 3.5ns
Attenuation Ratio: 1X / 10X
Input Resistance: (1MΩ/10MΩ)±2%
Input Capacitance: 1X: 70pF-120pF 10X: 13-17pF
Maximum Input: 1X: 200 Working Voltage(Vp-p) 10: 600 Working Voltage(Vp-p)
Compensation Range: 10-35pF
Operating Temperature: 0-50°C
Operating Humidity: 0-80%RH
Item Length: 14cm

Took less time to find these on internet and to order them than it would for me to get my car out of the garage or to check online to see if Maplin had probes in stock at the local store.