View Single Post
Old 15th Jul 2019, 4:44 pm   #122
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Save our 2 Metre Band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Interestingly on this point, I was talking to some passing cyclists who wondered what the hell I was doing on Sunday and they outlined the decline I think:

"you do know we've got mobile phones these days, but I'm sure you've heard that before"

One of them did mention playing around with CB radios in the 1980s however so they weren't quite as ignorant as they made themselves out to be
This seems to be a very difficult point to get across to most people. They think we just want to talk to people, so they can't understand why we don't just use Skype or a mobile phone or whatever, whereas we aren't really interested in that, we want to talk about radio and allied subjects, our latest projects, achievements etc. My neighbour's son asked me a few weeks ago why I bothered shoving my 40 foot topband vertical up and down, when I could get software for my PC that would allow me to talk to up to 40 people all over the world at once. (insert roll-eyes smiley here).
Trying to explain to him what it was all about was like trying to herd cats. If you've ever seen the bit in Spinal Tap where the guy is fixated on his amplifier 'going up to eleven', you'll know the feeling.