View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2019, 10:22 am   #1
WB6NVH-GEOFF
Tetrode

Default Ex marine AM radio equipment.

I rescue such things on this side of the world with the best intentions of using them on 160 and 80 Meter AM gathering frequencies. The difficult bit here is always finding documentation for the unusual ones, and now, crystals. I have a Harvey Wells 1940 vintage set which had been painted a ghastly yellow with a brush, a small 1952 vintage Radiomarine 10 Watt set, and a rather rare Gray Marine Radio thing that mounts vertically on a bulkhead and uses a separate power supply (long AWOL.) Also have a French "Homologue" set built in Nantes by a "mom and pop" operation circa 1950.

Some of these have rather strange designs. The Gray set (above) uses a pair of 6146's to modulate a pair of 807 RF PA tubes!

I believe these all were intended to load a random wire tied off on a mast or the back stay and worked against a hull plate ground. What are people doing about an antenna on these for the amateur bands? Some here have converted theirs to a pi-network but I don't have room for a 160 Meter dipole so a 50 Ohm match is not likely here.