View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2010, 3:25 am   #17
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Goon tapes question for Ted Kendall

Kat,
In an earlier post I specifically stated that I wasnt trying to enter into a "loudness wars" debate as I knew that I might be misinterpreted as saying that.

I wasnt making a general comment about the industry. I was referring specifically to a set of Goon Show CD's I own that Ted had remastered, and may I say, he has remastered briliantly, with the possible exception of the dynamic range issue.

You said that the dynamic range on these recordings that would suit me would not suit you and Cobweb. But have you heard the dynamic range that would suit me? Obviously you havent.

Most people who buy such CD's havent a clue even what dynamic range is except in the most general terms and would be at a loss to pick a specific example of limiting in a recording, far less to estimate just how much limiting in db's was used. In discussions of dynamic range and compression on other audio recording discussion forums I have at times referred to specific examples of compression on a contemporary release to teach newer recordists what to listen for so that they can get a handle on the subject - without my necessarily trying to impose my personal preferences either.
For many, audio processing issues such as this are largely a mystery.

You are of course free to side with Ted on this but it would be a far more enlightening discussion if we used actual audio (A and B) examples to illustrate exactly what I mean. We could also use waveform graphs as per the loudness wars website you quoted too. And if we did the latter I very much doubt that the dynamic range changes that would suit me would result in a graph with the terribly crushed waveform illustrated there. It would be far far less severe limiting than that.

Kat, do you understand what I am, saying here?

Cheers Tim