View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2010, 12:51 am   #16
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Goon tapes question for Ted Kendall

Hi,

I've been following this discussion with some interest, both as a Goons fan and from a technical perspective.

I don't need to express my opinions concerning the preservation (or otherwise) of dynamic range; Turn Me Up! has it pretty well covered.

Neither Cobweb nor I have experienced any discomfort or fatigue listening to material featuring a good dynamic range, we just turn the volume up so the 'quiet bits' are comfortably audible and the 'loud bits' are as loud as they're supposed to be.

On the other hand, we both find material lacking in dynamic range can be boring and ultimately tiring to listen to. Worse still are recordings where I can hear compression 'pumping' and/or background noise varying; I find myself listening to the processing and getting annoyed rather than listening to and enjoying the the content!

Sorry Tim; I'm with Ted here. If he'd compressed the recordings to suit your preference, they wouldn't suit mine - and I wouldn't be able to do anything to get the dynamic range back. Once it's gone, it's gone.

As it is, both our preferences can be satisfied if recordings are released with their dynamic range intact. You're welcome to apply compression if that's what you prefer. I'll just turn the volume up

Regards, Kat