Thread: HV PSU Question
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2018, 4:49 pm   #16
johnyjf
Tetrode

Default Re: HV PSU Question

Hello Again, my what jolly japes. I found 10 mins or so to put it on a variac. The results with no load were hum starts at about 70% of input voltage and is far to loud for comfort at 90%. The ratio of OPv to %age IPv seems about right. I then hooked a load comprising a 470K and 220k HV resistors in series across the output tags with much the same results up to 3,225v, couldn't go further the resistors began to smell. Didn't have time to place the avo in series with the primary this time but my best guess on results to date is that I have a lamination problem rather than a winding one. The secondary current works out at about4.7 m/a which is half power. I reckon the transformer is useless but am wondering if stripping it down would yield any useful parts such as the secondary wire which I could then use to make an old fashioned shocking coil like we used to play with at school. Stripping it down could merely make a hell of a mess with oil everywhere. Have also read that the oil used in those transformers is poisonous and best kept well clear of your skin. Does anyone know?
John

Johnyjf