View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 12:26 pm   #37
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Workshop: LED replacements for flourescent tubes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
I have a chum who recently converted his workshop lighting from twin fluorescent tubes to 600mm x 600mm LED panels, which to a large extent have superseded fluorescents in retail and office environments and it's not difficult to see why. Really bright and seem to flood his workshop with light. Nothing like as expensive as I'd imagined, and they come with a three-year warranty. No idea what they're like in terms of RFI and I wouldn't personally care about that. The spec is at the attached link, and it's worth reading the case study and before/after pictures of the conversion of lighting to LED panels in a chemist's shop.

The need to be mounted in a 600mm x 600mm box or recessed into a ceiling, so in that respect, aren't as convenient as fluorescents which can be surface mounted. They're 40 Watt, equivalent to 72 Watt fluorescents. In commercial environments there are considerable savings to be made of energy costs, which are of course less significant where we're only talking about a few panels in a home workshop.

Specification: Wattage [W] 40w
Voltage [V] 230
Lumens [lm] 3800 Tested
Dimensions [mm] 595x595
Beam Angle [°] 120
Average Life [h] 35,000
Colour Temperature [k] 3850-4150
Dimmable?No
Equivalent Fluorescent Wattage [w] 72

https://www.lampshoponline.com/45w-l...r.html#reviews

I haven't looked to see how those compare price-wise with competitors, but they're certainly far cheaper than many similar products on the market.
Thanks David,

I'd looked at those a couple of days ago, they would certainly work ilumination-wise. The price is good compared to ther purveyors of a similar product. I might just get one for test purposes.
I would have to remove all the existing fittings, & also use the surface-mount kit. This is why I decided to think carefully about it. There are currently 10 fittings so it would not be cheap. The ones in my mechanical workshop area are suspended on chains, so for that area only, I would have to either use replacement LED tubes/ballast in the existing fittings, or change to a complete LED industrial fitting. I will probably look at that smaller area separately.