View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2017, 12:14 pm   #36
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Re: Workshop: LED replacements for flourescent tubes.

I didn't realise what I'd started here!

There are so many opinions, so many valid argument both for & against.

When it just a case of one or two fittings, then I can see why people have gone down the LED route. Here there are 10 surface-mounted diffuser fittings, each with two tubes.
To replace all of them, i.e. the complete fittings would be very expensive, & I would probably not get the benefit of the lower electricity consumption, when that was offset by around £460 to replace the entire lot. The existing fittings are almost perfect, if I do replace them, I'll have to repaint the ceiling, as the replacements would be unlikely to cover the existing fixings/area.

I did measure the light output in two different areas, one with old tubes, & the other with tubes from the office area which have hardly been used, as the overspill from the workhop is enough especially when only sitting at the P.C.

I originally designed the lighting to allow 1000Lux at the bench surface. That was still correct with the little-used tubes, and down to 700Lux (flies removed from diffuser!) with the old ones that still worked, but not including the those that flickered & were beyond redemption.

The colour temperature was fairy stable acros the whole area at 4000K.
To the eye the difference in illumination looked much more, so I shall be changing them for something..

Incidentally I did try the polishing the slow-starting tubes with silicone polish as suggested, I think the tubes I tried it on were past it.

Looking at the overall situation, these tubes have lasted 16 years, will I still be here in another 16 years...?
I will look at replacement tubes & probably go down that route, as I need to spend money on the workshop roof, which is now starting to be problematic.

Thanks again to all, much food for thought, & its helped my decision.

David.