View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2017, 10:41 am   #15
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: What have I done?? Fidelity AVS1600.

I never really had a problem with the electronic side of the AVS series and it was fitted with excellent Toshiba 16" and 20" tubes.

Unfortunately the chassis was fitted into the cabinet on short connecting leads and the CRT was fixed to the cabinet as a separate item.

Anyone who has worked on the 1951/2 Pye FV series will know of the frustration.
Short of making up extension leads it was very difficult to work on in the house let alone removal of the 'box' to the workshop.

It's a long time back but I seem to remember a long thin chip [TDA33000]? that would fail when the LOPT case split and flashed over. The replacement required a mod sheet and it never seemed to be completely satisfactory.

They were just a time consuming nightmare that could not be realistically charged for.

I used to try and put customers down gently informing them that it was too big to fit in my service van. It didn't work..

In desperation they delivered them to my shop in removal vans, sheet glass delivery lorries and one I remember was plonked in my shop from the back of a SEGAS service van. It stank of gas when I finally decided to get it onto the workbench and plug it in.

To be fair there must have been good ones and I suspect that these are the ones now in collectors hands.
Yes a bit of history and when they finally break down for good you can strip out the guts and turn the case into a Gnomes display cabinet.

I have a special plot roped off and reserved for an AVS graveyard. It's called 'Bonfire Corner'.

Any takers? Gnomes welcome. Byeeee, John.