View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2017, 3:05 am   #9
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: What have I done??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
It's funny, sets that we hated and didn't want to handle when it was a living now become quite an enjoyable project when looked at from a non commercial point of view.
That's very true. I was already done with working on TVs as part of a job just before these first came on the market, but I'm sure that if I had still been doing TV repairs I would have hated working on them with limited time for customers just like most other folk.

I've just been having a late night mess about with the old AVS1600 and it turns out that it doesn't have a sound fault at all. The fault is actually in the 'source' that it was being fed from and that's the Humax F2-Fox T box. I remember that the fault originally started with loss of the left hand channel of the stereo sound and eventually both channels. I had assumed that it was a fault with the TV audio circuitry and never bothered to investigate further. I've just fed the TV from another source and the audio is absolutely perfect. That was a real surprise to me as I've never known an audio fault like that with one of those Humax boxes. The fault is there on both scart and RF outputs - anyone any idea on what could be causing that before I dive into it?

Well that will teach me to doubt the reliability of these wonderful Fidelity AVS units I was actually contemplating breaking it up and storing all the parts for possible spares for the big AVS2000, which was the original reason for getting the set in the first place, and with it also appearing to develop that fault, but it's going to survive for a while longer now. It's a shame it doesn't have the glass for the bottom section of the cabinet, but the chap I got it from forgot to put them in his car with the set when he brought it to meet me half way at a service station to do the swap. I wasn't bothered at the time because I only wanted the set for spares, but as the set performed so well, and now with the passing of time they're becoming quite rare and possibly a future collectors item, it's a bit of a shame really - Never mind.

PS, I knew John would have something to say about it - let's hope he soon recovers. Get well soon John