View Single Post
Old 16th Oct 2017, 1:44 am   #53
ct92404
Pentode

Default Re: My first antique TV-Olympic Model 755-need help.

It turns out the variable resistor for the picture control would be kind of tricky to replace. It's in line with the volume knob. The shaft for the volume control goes through the shaft for the picture control. That's because the picture control is dial, and the power and volume knob is on top of it. I didn't really want to mess with it. So I decided instead to just change the capacitor that's connected to the picture control to see if that would do anythng. I did notice a slight improvement in the contrast and the picture control isn't quite as "touchy" now.

Also, I decided to use a DVD player to test the tv, instead of a VCR. I should have thought of that before. Now I can just leave the DVD on the menu screen to test and adjust the tv. The image looks better than I thought. But it's still really fuzzy and it's definitely getting interference from somewhere. I can't get the image to stabilize. One moment I'll adjust the vertical and horizontal holds and get a better picture, and then something causes it to jump around again. It comes in more clear whenever it feels like it.

I might have a clue though. There is yet ANOTHER bumblebee capacitor that was hiding on the chassis! It's hooked up between pin 3 on the 6V6 tube and the chassis. I'm confused though, because on the diagram, on page 110, the only capacitor that's connected to pin 3 is supposed to have its other lead connected to pin 4 and the audio transformer. Why do they have it connected to the chassis? The connection on the chassis is a big solder lug...it definitely looks like something the factory did. Maybe it was a change they made later on. I'm going to change that capacitor...because, why not, I've sure been having fun changing capacitors for the past several days.

If that capacitor was bad, could that cause sound to modulate or disrupt the picture? I'm thinking that, since it is on the 6v6 tube.

- Chris