View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2017, 11:25 am   #51
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: My first antique TV-Olympic Model 755-need help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
I don’t know that book but if Argus recommends it , it will be a good one.
That was a very nice thing to say, thanks for that kind remark Nuvistor.

Bernard Grob's book (Second Edn 1954) is outstanding, it even covers early NTSC color sets like the RCA CT-100 chassis. It was edited By Donald Fink. It has large size fold out schematics in it too.

Fink wrote an outstanding textbook Principles of Television Engineering also by McGraw-Hill publishing, but earlier in 1940, the technology wasn't as well advanced then, but his book contains all the early insights into the technology and at that point the audio was AM sound for American sets.

Grob's Basic television, second Edn, comes up for sale from time to time, like this one in AU for sale I saw recently, if the mods excuse the ebay reference, but it shows an image of the book:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Basic-televi...8AAOSws4JW72xb

It is such a wonderful book, I would have to say that most things I know about television were acquired from it. I got my copy when I was about 16 years old, it is pretty tatty now, but I still use it all the time and would never part with it, it is a lifelong companion for anyone interested in analog television technology and Grob has a way of explaining difficult concepts in a concise manner that I could never master.