View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2019, 2:33 pm   #2
Humber888
Heptode

Default Re: HP 180A scopes - anything I need to know?

I've got a couple of 182C and 184A 'scopes and have worked on the odd 180C. These are quite straight forward and generally reliable with a nice trace. You shouldn't run into any Rifa type problems. IIRC the 180A's PSU may use a neon type voltage reference rather than a zener. If so these sometimes get a bit iffy with age.

If your version uses a leaf contact type switch for the beam finder, rather than the later conventional push button, it is worth giving it a dose of switch cleaner. I spent a happy hour tracing why the trace wasn't central only to find the beam finder intermittent.

Be aware that one of the 100MHz vertical plug-ins uses custom ICs to drive the final deflection transistors and these are very hard to replace if duff.

Finally, if by any chance the unit still has its original plastic handle, don't lift the 'scope with it. They were solid plastic which hardened and broke upon applying stress. Normally a 180, etc, of this vintage just has a missing handle or sometimes a replacement strap with a steel band running through it for strength.

Mike