View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 12:56 am   #14
Oldmadham
Pentode

Default Re: Kodak Carousel slide-projector - remote-control?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
The IR-remote ones were standard-fitment in university lecture-theatres 40+ years back; I remember frustrated lecturers instructing whichever student was nearest to the projector to 'give it a whack while I select the next slide' when the feed-mechanism jammed (when it did this it would usually remove the current slide, make a rapid click-click-click for a couple of seconds then re-display the same slide!).

Update on my homemade wired-remote - it has made its way to Scotland where it would appear to be working perfectly!
I remember the click-click-click well!
It also was supposed to correct the focus for the "popping" effect of slides going slightly convex, but from memory that didn't always work so well.

That said, the Carousel was a revelation compared to what i had before.
I took it up to work on afternoon shift, & set it up in the Tx Hall, along with my old one.
We had a Fernseh FSS slide scanner with various glass slides.
i put its standard test chart up on the Kodak, & was astounded by the brightness, contrast, & above all, the resolution.

My previous "K-mart special" was a mess in comparison, dull, barrel distortion, colour aberration, you name it!

I was equally impressed by the resolution, etc, of the test slide itself which was well capable of testing the limits of the FSS scanner, & in turn the TV system.

Interestingly, the (brand new) slide scanners used in the telecine chains at the Commercial TV studio I briefly worked at a few years previously were archaic in comparison--very similar to the K-mart one, in fact.

I was never a big fan of Kodak, but they pretty much "hit the jackpot" with the Carousel.
It took a few years for the competition to catch up!

Last edited by Oldmadham; 23rd Oct 2019 at 12:58 am. Reason: iPad's pretend keyboard