View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2019, 7:28 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Philetta BD 244U

Back in 2016 I bought a Philetta 254U with a view to restoring it. I restored the cabinet, and as the service data I found on internet was fairly illegible, I re-drew it. It's in 2 parts - LH and RH, which I've attached below in case it might be of help. The above chassis layout was also illegible, so I re-drew that too, which I've attached. I found the circuit confusing as to how the power input should be configured for either 220 or 110V input. See pic 4.

I was initially confused about the three-wire capacitors, of which there are several, but the third wire is simply a shield. Whether or not that's strictly necessary I couldn't say. I looked at several restorations I found on internet, one of which highlighted which caps ideally need to be changed. The underside of the chassis has a high density of components and will be a challenge to work on.

I never got round to restoring the electronics on mine, because fortuitously, a forum member who lives in Spain was keen to find one, so I sold it to him. A radio pro there restored it to working order for him, which - when I learned how extensive the restoration had been, frankly, it was beyond my competence, both technically and from a dexterity aspect. When restored, it worked a treat and as far as I know, is still giving good service.

I hope the attachments below, though for the 254U, might be of some use.

Good luck with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LH Circuit only_edited-3.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	193850   Click image for larger version

Name:	RH Circuit only_edited-1.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	193851   Click image for larger version

Name:	RH Circuit only - Caps to be replaced are highlighted.jpg