View Single Post
Old 26th Mar 2019, 9:49 am   #43
red16v
Heptode

Default Re: Quadruplex 2 inch tape

Just for info. Ravensbourne College re-located next to the Millenium Dome and is still an important source of training for people wanting to enter the broadcasting industry. It was multi-discipline so not just engineering (floor managing/vision mixing etc too) and I think they used to have many exercises involving doing complete productions as training exercises. I suspect it's likely to be things like that that might be on the tape?

As a final exercise each year they used to do a complete day of broadcasting including live studio broadcasting, films, pre-recorded programmes etc and even the live continuity between it all so quite a challenging day for the students. This excercise was broadcast 'live' across London, I presume from a temporary low power set up at Crystal Palace, it even continued when DTV was introduced and I think they were given a temporary mux by the pertinent authorities. I'm not sure if they do that nowadays.

I do have a contact there, but since they no longer have the kit to replay your tape there wouldn't be any chance of replaying it. In the event you decide to 'skip it' you could do as I have and turn the reel into a centre piece by making it into a clock. In fact mine is a Scotch reel too, but it is the 'take up' reel and is very similar to yours but has a thin black foam liner under the face of the top surface - Scotch introduced that feature as it supposedly gave better protection from edge damage of the tape. Good luck.

PS. The tape box makes an excellent tool box, and if you wind off the tape and twist together several lengths of it you can use it as an emergency tow rope - honestly!