View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2017, 1:54 pm   #1
Vintage Engr
Heptode

Default Workshop: LED replacements for flourescent tubes.

Not sure where to post this, but its probably the best place.

Have just come into the workshop this morning to find several flourescent tubes on their last legs. Bearing in mind that the workshop is used for everything vintage & electronic, from D.C. to daylight, I'm deliberating on which type of replacements to use.

The existing tubes have been there for 16 years, so they've done well.

When I first started replacing all the lamps in the house, with LED types, apart from the unreliability I had a number of issues with EMC/RFI. Some were so bad that AM radios were completely wiped out, some the harmonics extended to VHF/FM bands, Some managed to interfere with audio equipment.
It got to the point where when I ordered lamps, I would order one, & then subject it to real-world testing before purchasing any quantity.
Thankfully the later replacement GLS/GU10/MR16's have been reasonably quiet.

I am most fortunate to live in a totally quiet RFI free zone, so the last thing I want to do is turn the workshop into an antenna for LED drivers!

Has anyone replaced their flourescent tubes with the LED compatible types, and if so have you had any RFI problems?

I have 18 tubes here in the workshop, all in perfectly good diffused fittings, so I don't really want to change the fittings. The expense will be quite high without that.

If I have to, I can of course replace the ballasts for high-frequency types, but that opens up more avenues for interference.

I shall of course have to retain my illuminated flourescent bench-lamp, otherwise the turntable strobes will not function.

Any thoughts & experience of this appreciated.

David.