Thread: Toshiba IC70
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2011, 7:45 pm   #69
frsimen
Heptode

Default Re: Toshiba IC70

Andrew,

I think you still have one or more of your transistors connected the wrong way round. My guess is that either the base/ collector or base/emitter have been swapped on the 2SB364. You can check that the collectors of the other two transistors are wired correctly, as the collector is connected to the case of the transistor. The BC108 collector should be connected to the positive supply, the BC109 collector should go to the diode. You only have the other two leads to check on each then.

The problems you are having with the LM386 are fairly easy to explain. I assume you are working from the manufacturer's data sheet. The data sheet carries the bare bones of the circuit, but you need to add a few more components to allow it to work properly. For the motorboating, you need to decouple the power supply, so add a 220uF 10V capacitor across the supply, connecting it close to the LM386. Adding a 10uF capacitor from pin 7 to pin 4 won't do any harm either.
Returning to the volume control, feed the signal from the radio via a 10uF capacitor, with the negative connected to the volume control. That should overcome the distortion.

Perhaps some switch cleaner will restore the FM and AM operation on the radio.

Paula

Last edited by frsimen; 19th Oct 2011 at 7:48 pm. Reason: Deleted confusing paragraph