View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2020, 5:16 am   #124
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Very low noise op amp recommendations?

While we're dissecting the accuracy of the RIAA replay equalisation, it would seem appropriate to question the accuracy of equalisation at the cutting stage.

Has anyone analysed those networks?

Of course it's probably academic because the signal will have been twiddled at the mixing stage to suit the studio's speakers as well as the hearing and tastes of the operator.

If we are trying to re-create the original sound, the devil's advocate's question would be 'Which one?'

Trying for pragmatism, I use a reasonably accurate (not quite perfectly accurate) circuit by Baxandall and don't worry about it. Then I allow myself to twiddle frequency response to my own taste. I might disagree with the mixing and cutting people, my speakers are definitely different to theirs and my hearing and tastes probably are as well. I'm not sure which sound I'm trying to re-create. I'm just listening to the music, to the performance. A flat-stereo rendition of a three-dimensional experience.

What I am punctilious about is in never saying that my setup is right or better than others.

Small variations in frequency response do seem to be audible. It's difficult to put your finger on just what difference you're hearing, but a quick flick test between two alternatives can show up as a perceived difference. But instead of leaping in saying this one is right and that one is wrong. I'm damned if I know. It's quite possible to perceive a difference and still be unsure which one you prefer. It's unlikely to come down to right and wrong. Both will be wrong, but different sorts of wrong.

All subjects seem bottomless and infinite in extent if infinitesimal differences are pursued. The art lies in knowing when to stop.

To quote Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, 'If it feels good, do it!'

David