View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2020, 4:01 pm   #1
Scotorvm
Pentode

Default Graves Vulcan II tuning help

Guy's, have successfully powered this unit up with a battery eliminator and horn speaker.

Have a 2m earth rod hammered into clay soil, 10mm earth cable to an earth bar, tapped of this with 2m of 1.5mm earth to radio.

approx 40m of bare copper wire on insulators along the top of a 6' fence, then up the outside of the house into the attic attached to a digital TV aerial.

Trouble is only 1 station seems available, it is loud and clear, horn speaker able to adjust volume via knob on base.

Absolute radio is the station I can receive.

When either the earth or aerial cable removed, radio is silent. Short wave and long wave switch change plays the same station.

I think there is at least another 1 station trying to break through when turning the tuning capacitor.

Does all this sound normal for this type of set? Do I need a better aerial? I live in a modernish housing area so my options are limited for height.

Thanks.

Lee

Ps had another post re a Columbia 357, managed to get this working too after replacing all the condenser block caps for polyester film caps and 6 open circuit resistors, only 1 station available with another ghosting in the background.

Subsequently changed another two paper caps, a 0.25uF and a 0.035uF for polyester film caps, then received nothing