View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2018, 9:19 am   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Help with Gecophone 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelapantus View Post
I used a piece of very fine sandpaper inbetween the dial contacts as I had no blotting paper
I wouldn't put sandpaper, very fine or otherwise, anywhere near a dial or switch contact! You'll've removed any silver plating by doing so and this will lead to more problems in the future with pitting and burning. One set of DON contacts shunts the dial contacts with a CR circuit to suppress any arcing caused when dialling. Even a diamond spatula used for relay and contactor cleaning is too rough.

Quote:
I also lightly oiled with clock oil and a cotton bud.
You'll get away with this in the short term, but it really isn't difficult to remove the dial and lubricate it accordingly with a thin wire and light clock oil, as per the instructions here: http://www.britishtelephones.com/tel%20auto%20b5125.htm

Quote:
Is isoproponal the same as rubbing alcohol?
Not sure. I use isopropyl alcohol. Vodka might do at a push. It works with camera lenses!

Quote:
The phone does ring when I get incoming calls; does that mean the line cable is ok?
It sounds like it, Angela. Has the telephone been converted to plug and socket?

Quote:
It does need the handset cord replacing though. I just need to know how to replace it. Would I still need to use a rectifier and resistor like I would in a GPO 300 type? I would be most grateful if you could post some instructions.
There are a few variations on the Gecophone and if you could identify the paster diagram appertaining to your instrument it would help greatly. There's an instruction on Bob's telephone pages here: http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/gecodiag.htm

Generically, you need the rectifier across the receiver terminals - it will clip off excessive loudness, and you may or may not need a 3k3 resistor in series with the bell movement; it all depends on whether you intend using other instruments on the line at the same time.

The handset lead is simply a case of wire-for-wire replacement, and unpicking the whipped cotton loop at each end. Do you have a replacement handset lead to go on? Has it got cotton loops on it? There's a chap over on the Telecommunications Heritage Group who manufactures cotton-covered replacement leads and cabling for old telephones, but they are available from other sources. What does the end of the cable you are going to fit look like, if you have it?
--

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.