View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2018, 7:49 am   #5
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Re: More Chinese AM radio kits

I looked at a Web list of colours in Chinese to be sure about what wound component went where, but as I said I can't test capacitors to see if they are within 20%, or whatever tolerance they ought to have around their printed value.

I have done a HX-108 before with the same degree of success that member Jolly 7 had.
One of the KX-168 cooked the o/p 8050's. Dunno why, as in every instance I used long, thin-nosed pliers on the transistor legs as a heat-sink when soldering them in.
It makes me wonder about whether some of the parts are rejects or out of spec stuff that failed QC and therefore you have the odds stacked against you from the start.
The one that had the faint audio hiss wouldn't give a tone even when I injected the signal by physical connection. The black IFT usually has a broader peak than the white one. The cores are usually somewhere near to correct. Enough that you get the hiss of the mixer & IF strip even if you don't get stations. I triple-checked whether I had the ferrite rod coil's connections correctly wired as well. It makes me wonder whether the IF coils were junk.