View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2018, 10:30 pm   #457
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Default Re: Bygone radio traders

I can add - who was Hatfield Sid? Shop name is unknown.

His shop was on the East side of the A1 in Hatfield, Herts, as it passed opposite the Hawker Siddeley site to the West side. The Aero Cafe was a few doors before - good fry-ups to be had in there. Water's garage was close by.

Sid sold radio bits on his side of the shop while his wife sold knitting stuff on her side. That was a pretty sneaky move actually since it made a Saturday morning visit to "Sid's" a joint affair if you were married or just courting.

I believe he had another outpost running in the town market, from a blue caravan with a very high serving shelf.

Once I had grown tall enough to see I bought some ferrite rods with MW/LW coils fitted and some PolyVaricons, out of my pocket money. It was OK for OA81s and piezo earpieces too.

I seem to recall only the shop had the OC45s, OC71s and such - but I might have defective memory. Maybe that was in 1972 or 3?

It is all redeveloped now as "The Galleria". The A1 runs under it in the Hatfield Tunnel. I think the site of his shop is now part of the car park.
They did that in 198x I suppose?