View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 9:34 pm   #50
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: RF power meter calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
You need to define the mode used in order to get any sense of power.
I'm assuming key down CW for maybe 10 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0HZU_JMR View Post
I recommend using a 1N5711 Schottky diode because they have consistent performance in terms of efficiency and leakage up into VHF. A randomly selected (ebay?) Ge diode is likely to cost more and perform worse than the 1N5711 here so why take the risk
Quote:
There seems to be consensus that the capacitance involved in using a scope complicates the issue
I'm not sure a scope is the right tool up at 29MHz if the aim is to check the accuracy of a power meter. Also, I'd be concerned about damage to the scope.
I guess the use of the scope stems from the OP (where he?), or earlier posts, but also that most licenced amateurs will have a scope of some kind. Re diodes, I still have quite a few gold-bonded Ge point contacts bought long ago, but I think this is a point of detail .

Ah; now way back in post #26 Wrangler was proposing to use a 30dB attenuator next to the 50R load and I had assumed that the thread had absorbed that suggestion as the means of protecting the scope, but maybe not?

So to sum up, what I think is useful to baseline here is a PM
useful for 100W to 30MHz (as a starter), to be used by driving it with full power CW for up to 10 seconds, and with the load having a closely connected attenuator (~30dB) feeding either a diode probe or a scope.My version would have a temperature sensor(s) too!

Doesn't have to be that concept.

B