View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 2:03 am   #15
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Passive Cathode ray tube modulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
A great example of giving it a go and it works, I bet many theorists would say it wouldn't.
Well, going right back to first principles, the more negative a grid is with respect to the cathode, the fewer electrons get through it. So by superimposing a voltage between the grid and cathode of the tube in the oscilloscope, you can vary the strength of the electron beam and therefore the brightness of the line on the screen. That's just secondary-school physics.

And there's nothing on that diagram that looks as though it might be damaged by wiring a transforner there. The stand-off voltages involved are more than the transformer is likely to see in normal operation, but still within the ratings to which it should have been tested.

So bearing in mind both the above points, it's at least worth a punt. In the absolute worst case, you can treat yourself to a brand spanking new digital 'scope that will allow you to change not just the brightness of the trace, but the colour as well .....