View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2018, 9:21 am   #1
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Transformer safety?

Hi All,

I'm a little out of my comfort zone here, as I'm usually involved with amateur and military radio. Domestic sets are not something I'm too familiar with so I'm seeking some safety advice!

I have here a Murphy A362 AM/FM set which has been in my family from new and has been in dry storage for the past 20 years or so. I have a copy of the Trader's sheet and I see from the cct diagram that the mains transformer is what I'd call an "autotransformer" in other words a single, tapped, winding.

Would anyone care to comment on whether there are any safety issues around such a set, that wouldn't be an issue if the set used a conventional transformer with separate windings? My daughter has expressed a desire for a "Bakelite Radio" for her flat and whilst I'm competent to change out capacitors, etc. on elderly radios, the mil/ham sets I work on are for my own use and I wouldn't want to put her or others at risk.

I am aware of equipment like the DAC90 with live chassis, etc. and I know that doesn't apply in the case of the A362 but any advice would be welcome. It's very unlikely that an external aerial would be needed with the set as it will be used in central London.

Cheers

Roger