Old 6th Feb 2017, 9:01 pm   #67
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: A scary Baird T23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac View Post
Hello David,

Let's all hope this CRT is much better.
Scary business - lugging these monsters around!

Looking forward to a perfect picture!

Jac
Good evening Jac,
There is a distinct chance that this might be third time lucky with this CRT. After reconnecting everything together I was greeted with the usual dim raster, not another duff CRT I thought. The brightness control had hardly any effect, likewise the contrast control. My attention was diverted to something else, an attempt to revive a Vestel LCD TV with an USB reprogramming stick, that job proved to be a waste of time. When I returned to the Baird T23 I was amazed to observe very bright illumination of the screen.
It's most likely there is a bad connection or short circuit on the CRT base socket, moving the base about secures the bright picture.
The sound output is very low and the line oscillator is running at the wrong frequency, before any fault finding commences it might be just possible the power connectors for the sound and timebase units are simply transposed.
So that's the good news, the bad news is that CRT will have to come out again. The new CRT focus unit mounting board fouls the refitting of the RF unit, it needs that corner to be sawn off, see attachment. Now I don't fancy doing that with that bomb like CRT in situ. While the CRT is out the base connections can be checked.
All being well I reckon this Baird TV could finish up having the brightest picture of all among my collection of pre-war TV sets.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0199_13.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	137104   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0199_14.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	137105