View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2017, 8:22 pm   #329
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Audiophoolery. 'Cable Break In' - I never knew that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
I sometimes get to feeling this way- but then think, much of it probably doesn't cause actionable harm and it's another thing that keeps disposable income, VAT etc. swilling around the economy. (Though there has been mains/primary side "foo" that has me muttering, "Please, no...." from time to time). After all, just about any leisure activity has after-market products associated with it that range from eminently practical good value to indulgent bling.

And who would want to be the civil servant or Government minister associated with "Control and limitation of products that bring comfort through faith"!
You say it causes no harm but have you tried to hang out in a hifi forum recently? It's no place for the sane, feet on the ground, long in the tooth, experienced, 'science-based' (old fashioned?) hifi enthusiast. You get bombarded by 'know-all' audiophools telling you that you need to buy this piece of kit, upgrade your cables, your amp doesn't match your speakers, your speakers are showing their age now, you need this vital accessory to get the most information out of your deck, etc etc ad infinitum. So yes, in my opinion, for those reasons audiophools do cause 'trouble'. They are tainting and polluting established, mainstream, audio technology and beliefs, I'm talking about the kind of stance that the BBC would take on audio technology; a million miles away from smoke, mirrors, snake oil and voodoo. And there's no going back, the audiophool and the companies making the stuff that he buys are here to stay, audiophoolery has become hifi mainstream. Like dry rot it is insidious and contagious.