View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2017, 10:24 pm   #6
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: 120V 400Hz Three phase sine wave inverter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahs radios View Post
What an amazing project I'm guessing you are a professional electronics engineer or something similar because I done imagine many amateur engineers doing a project like that. The big question why do the monitors need 3x120 volts input presumably they have 3 power,supply each doing a bit of the monitors circuitry. Talk about making it complicated!!
The monitors have a three phase compact 400Hz power transformer. They have a wye configured primary. The secondaries , three are Delta connected, each passes to a three phase full wave rectifier (with six diodes just like an alternator rectifier but more compact) and one isolated winding associated with the CRT heater supply runs from one of the transformer phases. All 3 phases require power for it to work properly, and each phase is separated by 120 degrees.
The advantage is very low ripple out of the rectifiers, especially since its 400Hz, the power tranny is small, they did not need large electrolyics for the power supply. In fact the monitors do not contain a single electrolytic cap (much to my delight), it uses mil spec axial tantalums throughout.