View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2021, 2:03 pm   #9
SjjBeard
Diode

Default Re: 746 no dial tone. Inexperienced repairer hoping for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
In addition to Nick's suggestions above, if you have a multimeter, set it to ohms and touch its probes to T1 and T2 with the 'phone unplugged. You should hear a crackle in the earpiece as you do so - and note the reading given by the meter.

Another check (plugged back in to the line) is with said multimeter set to an appropriate DC volts range, check the voltage between T8/T9 (-ve) and T16/T17/T18/T19 (+ve). It should be about 9 or 10V with the receiver off-hook and 50V (ish) on-hook.
Hi Dave,

Regarding the first point, unplugged I get the crackle and a reading of 22 ohms.

Regarding the second, this has thrown some... interesting findings into the mix and makes me think the problem might be more complex. There appears to be no voltage coming from the BT phone line. I didn't get any DC voltage readings on the phone between T8 and T18 so I dug down to the master socket and there was still no voltage coming from the test line.
Click image for larger version

Name:	NTE5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	247511
I took the socket off the wall and looked at the board inside the red rectangle where the two IDC connectors bring the main BT line inside the house. When I touch the probes at these two point, again no voltage.

Is it even possible that my ADSL internet could work fine through a microfilter and my phone could ring/dial out despite no voltage or am I just being a complete n00b somewhere?