View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2017, 5:35 pm   #49
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Woodworm damaged cabinets

I've just bought a Ferguson TV with a load of worm holes in the cabinet, so far all I've done is strip out the chassis and soak the inside of the cabinet in some spirit based woodworm and anti-rot liquid, I also injected it into all the flight holes, to try and get the stuff soaked in everywhere possible. It's possible that the problem had already been successfully treated, but it doesn't hurt to do it again.

I did have a problem in a TV22 where they had been eating the 2 little wooden bits on the sides of the chassis, I soaked them in worm killer, the next day there were a load more holes and sawdust! I guess they didn't like the stuff so decided to try and get out as quickly as possible! After that I took the 2 bits of wood and put them in a food bag and chucked half a can of worm killer into it. Not had a problem since with that set!

I wonder about some treatments like freezing or heating cabinets, if it would damage them? Especially if they are rexine covered or have a good original varnish or French polish that you don't want to have to redo. If only microwaves were bigger...

Regards,
Lloyd