View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2017, 11:28 am   #33
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Fridge compressor capacitors

Also, I think I have found the cause of my starting problems, which have come back to haunt.

After finding the compressor would repeatedly not start again, I tried bypassing the solid state relay and it started no problem. Strangely upon reconnecting the relay a few minutes later it continued to function. I've observed this behaviour twice now. Without doubt the relay isn't up to the job, after doing some reading online it would appear the market is flooded with fake versions of this relay (Fotek SSR 25da). But I also notice this is a "zero-crossing" relay in its genuine form, and therefore not suited to inductive loads to start with, despite what the sheet said the seller provided. I think I need to invest a little in a decent SSR, possibly from a more reputable firm like Crydom for example, and possibly consider adding a varistor across its contacts.

If anyone has any recommendations that would be very useful as I'm new to this area. I wonder if a varistor would be needed to deal with voltage spikes at switch off, if I sized the relay for considerably higher voltage to begin with. The current relay is allegedly capable of delivering 25A at 380v