View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 9:32 am   #24
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: Fridge compressor capacitors

I'll check the connections. For the most part, any connections in my new starting system are either with choc blocks, or soldered and heat shrunk over. I made sure all the choc block connections were strong, but worth checking all the same.

The compressor screw connections themselves originally had connectors like crimp rings on the old wiring, but just the circular part. I couldn't see a way to reuse them, and I couldn't find modern crimp rings that would fit. In the end I twisted the wire strands together and wound them round a similar diameter drill bit to make a loop, put this on the screw terminals and tightened the connectors over them. I gave them a tug to make sure they were held firmly. If there is any connection problem it could be here I suppose. It was the only part of the rewire I wasn't 100% happy with. I might revisit this and try looping the wire round a suitable washer.

I did also wonder if my solid state relay was to blame, but it was passing 246v AC just fine during a failed start.

Im sure the compressor windings are fine, I just wonder if something mechanical is going on in the compressor to create difficult starting conditions. Its fairly noisy running compared to modern fridge compressors, which I assume is wear, but I know very little about compressors.