View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2009, 10:58 pm   #5
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Re: A simple low-fi phono pre amp?

Hi all and thanks for your prompt replies.
Rich, Thanks for the circuit description, that sounds about the right level of complexity for me! You say I should have RIAA equalisation though. If the radiogram played LP's OK with a crystal cart, what difference would an RIAA (or the lack of it) make to the sound to my second rate hearing? This is all very mysterious to me
Kalee, Thanks for posting the circuit. I'm assuming that the circuitery between the valves is this RIAA thingy.
'Course before I left the UK I had TWO paperback copies of a Practical Wireless book from the 60's illustrating various circuits from the magazine (in those days you had to wear a shirt & tie to build an amp according to the cover picture ) and needless to say BOTH of them went missing during the move . But I've got a few old PW's somewhere so there might be something in those.
Cheers de Pete