View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2020, 5:01 pm   #15
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Restuffing Dual Electrolytic Can Capacitor

Stage 4 - Connectors and Capacitors

Having successfully fabricated a new Paxolin disc I drilled equidistant holes for three new connectors using my Dremel on its drill stand - other rotary tools are available.

Coloured dots were used to identify the +ve connections for the smoothing (YELLOW) and reservoir (RED) capacitors and and for the -ve common connections (GREEN) - these were stuck to the disc prior to drilling. Solder tags were attached to each side of the disc using pop rivets for the new internal and external connections: -

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC_16.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	217793 Click image for larger version

Name:	DC_17.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	217794

Just to be sure that everything was still ok I had a trial fit of the new disk with connectors on the can with the end ring: -

Name:	DC_18.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	217795

Although the original values were 16μF for the smoothing capacitor and 32μF for the reservoir capacitor I substituted 15μF 450V and 33μF 450V Rubycon Electrolytic Capacitor, Miniatures from Farnell - other suppliers are available.

My hot glue gun was then used to stick the two caps together and the -ve common leads were twisted together. Exposed leads were covered with heat shrink, appropriately coloured (RED YELLOW GREEN), to prevent any risk of shorting and to ensure the correct connections were made: -

Name:	DC_20.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	217796

The new electrolytic capacitors were then soldered to the connectors on the new Paxolin disc: -

Name:	DC_21.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	217797