View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2021, 12:42 pm   #10
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Westclox EM21 electric clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
Your AVO battery is flat?
Actually if I was using a moving coil multimeter rather than a digital one on Ohms, I would have got a reading and a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberfingers View Post
If it's not an oxidized contact somewhere (plug pins or fuse clips, or even a faulty plug fuse (the end caps are pressed on and in some designs of fuse, make contact with another disc connected to the fuse element), then I would suggest that the coil has a tiny break in it somewhere, and the mains can break down the carbonised gap but the low voltage from the meter can't.
The oxidised contact is sort of right in a way
It's more a matter of quantum depletion layers though

Here's the reason

Click image for larger version

Name:	clock2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	239527

I had forgotten about that diode!

Remember I said the cable and plug were from an old mains series string of fairy-lights?

We all know that these have a failure mode where as each bulb fails and shorts itself out the string take more and more current until the fuse-bulb pops (if there is one). Plus the string always looks too bright and over run to me, even when all the bulbs are intact.

Well a long time ago I started to put a series diode in the plugs of these when new.

It was a bit of a long shot that anyone would have guessed exactly what I had done and why with the clues I gave, but stranger things have happened on this forum.

So back to the clock. Should I be surprised that the clock starts up and runs fine with the diode?
Is it kinder to the motor to leave it in or should I remove it?

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 17th Aug 2021 at 12:59 pm.