View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2018, 2:25 am   #18
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Reservoir capacitors and ripple current.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
I find it difficult to believe the HT secondary is just 7 ohms? That would be a very large transformer which raises the observation that over specifying one component does mean you end up having to use better parts throughout. I assume this is a CLC design?
The secondary will be very close to 7 ohms!!.
I "donated" the transformer to a member that had his chassis shimmering at 50 Hz due to massive flux.
The core is a 650 watter, and then I derated it. I then used wire in the range 600-750 CM/A ( dont blow yer cool man, said the fly to mad John)

Biggest problem is inrush current at switch on, and back EMF at switch off ( unless you can "see" the peaks and troughs @50Hz ) The transformer will drive almost ANY capacitance biker can throw at it, PROVIDING he has rectifiers that can handle the inrush current. Having had the experience of "cheap" transformers that can vibrate a steel chassis similar to an industrial ultrasonic cleaner, I "donated" the above traffo.

Secondary "resistance" about 7 or 8 ohms DC
Primary "resistance around 3 ohms DC.
Weight is around 4.5 kilograms.
Temperature rise at MAXIMUM current will be less than 40C above ambient and I designed it for Northern Australia where we have just had two weeks approaching 40C.

bikerhifinut is ALSO a biker, hence the donation.

Regards, Joe.