View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2019, 8:20 pm   #17
Beardyman
Hexode

Default Re: Oh dear! What have I done!

Evening all. Having spent most of the weekend fettling the turntable motor it would seem it has a shorted coil. There are 4 in total arranged in a square around the rotor. DC resistance of three is just over 1k, one coil is reading 5R. Earlier I had gingerly powered it up on a variac & whilst it did spin it was way too slow, I timed it at about 48RPM at the turntable. Nothing got hot or smoked! It has a tin can capacitor which contains two seperate capacitors of 1uf each. Both these were way off, 100nf or their abouts so I hooked in a couple of 1uf poly caps. I did this before any power was applied by the way. I'm quite disappointed in some ways as I would really like to be able to play 78's on it rather then the turntable just be there for show. I've looked around the internet & at the few Philco sites out there, my chances of finding a replacement motor are less than zero! I was thinking about possibly getting it rewound & am still considering this as an option.