Thread: DC AVO Minor.
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2018, 3:00 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: DC Avo Minor.

The glass in the DC Avominor is the thinnest of them all, it's pretty much the only part of the whole thing that's under-engineered. Opinion differs on the best adhesive, (some use a type of mastic or putty in case it ever needs to be removed again) I use 5 minute Araldite, but it is a pain to remove if you ever have to replace the glass a second time. The trick with Araldite is to err on the side of too little glue rather than too much, blobbed at strategic places- i say this partly because there are only two clips holding the glass in on this model, both at the top. Superglue is not suitable because white traces can creep across the surface of the glass afterwards and you end up with what looks like mouldy glass.

(Too much glue on one of my later meters, actually stopped the glass flexing with the carcase, and it the cracked without external provocation. An isolated incident, i imagine the crack instigated at a flaw in the edge.)

When soldering/de-soldering anything try to go in perpendicular as there isn't much room and it is ridiculously easy to burn the sides of the carcase!

Dave