View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2006, 7:17 am   #45
YC-156
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Regarding home made TRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Purling
Am I correct in believing that for a regenerative detector one should have a varaiable mu RF pentode?
No on both accounts.

Every valve you will encounter is variable mu to some degree or other. The changes you get from varying the anode or screen grid voltage on a non vari-mu valve is quite sufficient to control regeneration.

Nor does the valve have to be a type intended for RF operation. Audio valves will do quite nicely.

As I mentioned previously, then with regenerative receivers less is more. It is an all too common mistake to use too 'hot' valves for the detector, and doing so is a major contributor to many of the ailments, which can plague the species. You will in particular not get better sensitivity, smoother regen control nor less hum from using a 'strong' RF valve, quite the contrary.

Frequency pulling, another common problem associated with regens in the presence of strong signals, is at least in part directly associated with the vari-mu characteristics of a valve.

My preferred choice for a detector below 10MHz (Ie. for most any sane design ) is the EF86 audio valve. I am presently putting the final touches on my little 'reference' design for an experimental testbed, even though I have been forced by external events to postpone the work for now.

Frank N.

Edit: The pentode in the ECL80 requires around 5Vrms for full power output, somewhat dependent on screen grid voltage and anode load impedance. But 5V or perhaps a bit less should be a reasonable target to aim for.

Last edited by YC-156; 6th Aug 2006 at 7:27 am.